Every student who participates in a PJAS Regional competition must submit ALL applicable ISEF Forms that may are required for their chosen field of research and project . Every project needs at least an Abstract, Forms 1, 1A, 1B, and a Research Plan.
If you do not know which forms are required for your project, use the ISEF Forms Wizard to help you choose the corrent forms or ask your Sponsor. Please follow the guidelines and instructions provided by your Sponsor. Meet with your Sponsor to determine which forms may be required PRIOR to starting your project.
PRIOR approval is REQUIRED on SRC/IRB Forms!
If your experiment requires Scientific Review Committee (SRC) approval or Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval (for example, if you will be working with biological agents, vertebrate animals, controlled substances, hazardous substances or hazardous devices OR if you considering ANY type of research project that involves human subjects) your sponsor must request and receive approval from your Regional Director BEFORE you start your project.
Researchers CANNOT recruit subjects and/or collect data (including doing ‘pilot studies’ to pretest the procedures) until the IRB has reviewed and approved the project.
You will be disqualified if you begin your experiment before you have received final SRC/IRB approval. There are no exceptions!
Every project requires an Abstract, Forms 1, 1A, 1B, and a Research Plan. Download and complete the applicable forms as instructed by your Sponsor. Give a copy of the completed forms to your Sponsor for submission to SRC/IRB and keep originals safe.
- Form 1: Checklist for Adult Sponsor / Safety Assessment Form (REQUIRED FOR ALL PROJECTS)
- Form 1A: Student Checklist / Research Plan (REQUIRED FOR ALL PROJECTS)
- Form 1B: Approval Form (REQUIRED FOR ALL PROJECTS)
- Form 1C: Registered Research Institutional/Industrial Setting Form
- Form 2: Qualified Scientist Form
- Form 3: Risk Assessment Form
- Form 4: Human Subjects and Informed Consent Form
- Sample 1: Informed Consent Statement
- Form 5A and 5B: Vertebrate Animal Form
- Form 6A: Potentially Hazardous Biological Agents Form
- Form 6B: Human and Non-Human Vertebrate Animal Tissue Form
- Form 7: Continuation Projects Form
NOTE: ISEF forms returned from the SRC/IRB with signatures become your new originals. Always retain the latest original; send only copies.
Additional SRC/IRB Resources
Spanish Rules: Download Spanish Rules PDF
Scientific Review and Approval Process PowerPoint Presentation
This PowerPoint presentation provides a comprehensive overview of the SRC/IRB Approval Forms. Click below to view presentation.
NOTE: MS PowerPoint or PowerPoint Viewer needs to be installed on your machine to view this presentation (Get MS PowerPoint Viewer).
Additional resources regarding SRC/IRB forms can be found on the Society for Science website. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact your Sponsor or Regional Director.